Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Washington, DC: Hoya Saxa!

Each time I walk through Healy Gates at 37th and O, a huge ball of nostalgia wells up at the base of my throat as my brain inadvertently brings back memories of the years I spent roaming the campus as an undergrad.

The spires of Healy Hall - a National Historic Landmark - greet you as you walk through the gates at 37th & O Streets

The back of Healy Hall - from Dahlgren Quad
 After all, some of the best years of my life, and probably the most formative in many ways, were spent in the hallowed hallways of the Harry-Potter-esque towers dating back to as early as 1789, when the school was founded by John Carroll, a Jesuit priest.

The school's main campus architecture is styled after Gothic, Georgian brick and Romanesque architecture, surrounded by sprawling green lawns, over-arching trees, blooming flowers of the season and free-ranging squirrels. 

Dahlgren Chapel accorded its own serenity in the middle of campus
Copley Hall - an upperclassmen dorm
I remember that something was always going on at Red Square, the centre of campus activity (not unlike the Red Square in Moscow in many ways) - it was, and still is, here that students campaign for their causes, call on fellow activists to petition for social justice, perform and promote upcoming student events and shows; it was, and still is, here, that people of different race, colour, religion, political affiliation, socio-economic background can stand next to each other and campaign for opposite causes, but still be friends and respect the differences that create such a vibrant atmosphere for intellectual conversation to thrive.

Red Square in front of the Intercultural Centre - quiet on a Sunday afternoon
It was on this same campus that I spent beautiful spring and fall days sprawled on the lawn reading and/or dreaming (usually both), met amazing friends from all backgrounds (whom I still remain in touch with today) and acquired an entire new perspective on life from a different education system.

I used to walk out of class after a fervent discussion on culture and politics, inspired with youthful intellectual idealism on how to change the world, armed with Michel Foucault and Amartya Sen (amongst other luminaries) as my guides.

Squirrels have a field day roaming free across campus and amusing students with their brazenness
As I walk past current students enjoying the campus like I used to, I cannot help but feel the pang of envy that my time has passed, for what would I give to spend a day as an undergrad again?

No comments:

Post a Comment