Friday, September 3, 2010

My Beef with Steak - Part 1.

Since I watched that episode of Guy Fieri sampling a charcoal-roasted beef rib, I've been having a steak craving that I can't seem to get out of my system. Mind you, I'm not a meat-chugger, or even a huge beef lover for that matter. But this week alone, I've had beef three times already. That's more cow in a few days than I've had in the last 3 months at least!

M and I were introduced to Admiral Bar & Grill at the Singapore Flyer to celebrate a friend's birthday over the weekend. Good thing we were told that they are supposedly good at their steak (well they should be since they call themselves a Grill!) because I was totally ready to sink my teeth into some cow.

Temporarily tucked away in a little corner on the second floor (the entrance is hidden between some hoarding as their permanent storefront facing the bay on the ground floor is being done up), the place was pretty empty for a Saturday night. Then again, it was past 11pm and everywhere around the Flyer was dead quiet and closed.

Thank goodness the kitchen opens till 12 midnight, unlike most other restaurant-cum-bar establishments that chase you for your last food order by 10pm.

Ordered the ribeye, medium rare (S$23) and boy, was I surprised at the 300-gram monstrosity of perfectly grilled beef laid before my eyes. The medium rare was done just right, the centre a nice warm red and the accompanying onion-ish gravy an excellent addition to the palate. The chargrilled wok hei taste a perfect ending to the day.

Medium rare ribeye with baked potato and salad
The only beef I had with the dish were the sides. Would have been much better if the salad was a mesclun or rocket / arugula mix drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette instead of huge lettuce leaves dabbed with thousand island-type dressing.

Deep fried calamari rings
The baked potato was alright, save for the fact that the topping tasted more like mayo than sour cream. I think I barely touched the potato after that.

Also tried the calamari rings. They were pretty good -- springy squid rings with just enough oomph. The batter coated itself nicely around the squid as well so that when I bit into it, it didn't detach itself entirely from the squid. It annoys me greatly when with such circular deep fried food (onion rings included), the entire batter comes off but none of the real inside does when you take a bite.  

Pity that the calamari was served with mayo (again) and no lemon wedge. I personally think calamari is best with a squirt of lemon and a tangy salsa or creamy aioli.

Since it was our friend's birthday, the restaurant so kindly threw in a main course and a drink for the birthday boy on the house. I give them double thumbs up for service for sure. One of the owners popped by every now and then to ask us if the food was ok. That's a nice personal touch.

I'll definitely return for the steak again, good portion and good value for money. And I'm sure the entire experience would be enhanced further once Admiral moves down to their ground floor unit with a bay view. We hear that it should be ready before the F1 Night Race starts. Imagine having "front row" seats, enjoying your steak and watching Hamilton zoom by?? Mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment