Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Delhi must-dos. Part 3: Get out and look-see.

There is so much to do in Delhi, that the 2 days I had put aside to stay in the city was insufficient to fully take in all the sights and sounds that India's capital had to offer.

I could spend days trawling every single market, fishing out good bargains, sieving through thousands of beautifully woven pashmina shawls in every possible shade and colour, and bargaining till the cows came home (literally, the cows would come home in India).

I could sit in a single spot for an entire afternoon, just snapping photos of the local people as they go about their daily activities. The Indians are a fascinating people - their way of life, their ease at being a developing economy with one of the more authentic democracies (albeit challengeable), their national dress worn as a daily outfit, people togged in every colour of the rainbow and more.

I could wander for hours amidst the sprawling ruins of the various historical and archaelogical sites dating back to as early as the 12th century, and not be bored by the infinite stories that every piece of marble and architecture told. Almost every monument is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and standing before these magnificent structures, it's easy to see why.

But time was of the essence, and I had to strategically limit myself at each site, managing finally to only shop at Khan market and rummage through the cotton clothes at FabIndia (I'm not complaining though) before hurrying to catch the red-eye flight home.

A picture says a thousand words. Here are some of the memorable shots I took of the sites I visited.






India Gate, New Delhi



No comments:

Post a Comment